______________________________________________________________________

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Girls Weekend: Part II

Saturday:
So we slept till about noon on Saturday, and then Ali and Bethany showed up. I had had an extra set of keys made for the girls. So they just let themselves in and woke us up. Carrie wanted to go see The Bean, so I had promised to take her to Millennium Park. And of course it was Ali's first day in the city. So we packed up and headed downtown again. We walked around and they took pictures, and Bethany talked on the phone to her annoying boyfriend. Then around 6, we had to head back, because I had to work that night. Since it was Labor Day weekend I wasn't able to get Saturday night covered. Our plan was to have Chicago style pizza at this place near my bar so that I could just walk to work from there. And of course they really wanted to try deep dish pizza. But Bethany insisted that she needed like 2 hours to get ready, since they would all be going out afterwards. So basically what ended up happening is I dropped them off at the restaurant and then went to work. Because Bethany took so long getting ready that by the time we got there, I had to leave immediately.
And when I finally got to work, I was legitimately relieved to be away from Bethany!
When I got home that night, Carrie was already asleep in my bed. And it was hot as fuck. ((Sigh))

Sunday:
So the plan all along had been for us to go to the Sox game on Sunday at 1. Bethany had even arranged her travel plans around it, so that her flight didn't leave till 7 and she would have time to go to the game. Well I set my alarm for like 10 so that I could shower and stuff, even though I'd literally only been sleeping for like 4 hours. And when I get out of the shower, I had a text from Ali.
"So what's the plan? Bethany's still in bed. I'm up. You said be at your place at 11:30, right?"

"Yup."

"I suggest you call Bethany! :)"

"Tell her the bus is leaving at 11:30 whether she's on it or not. I've had 4 hours of sleep. If I have to put up with her shit today I will murder her."

"Lol I have her up! I'm going to be there! I've been up since 8 excited to do something! And I went to bed at 5. I suggested that we check her bag in at the airport and then go to the game since they are close by. Instead of having to come back to get her bag and everything. She thinks that's too much trouble. I said no, that we would just have to leave earlier for the game and we wouldn't be rushed later."

"That makes sense actually. Make her do it. Lol."

"We are bringing the bag to your place! Then you tell her to take it with her to the game and we go to the airport first and then the game."

Ali again, "Ok!! We are checking that bag in before the game!! I told her!! She is game!!! I'm running this biatch up in here today!! For sure!!! No drama like last night."

"Haha...good!"

So everything seem to be in order. Then I get a text from Bethany...

"I don't want my bag to get lost if I take it to the airport now."

"Where would it get lost? Why don't you just leave your stuff here then, and you can take a cab to the airport."

"I'm not sure what's going on with you but you're making me feel like I'm a pain and I'm not welcome. I'm not going to the game. I'll get myself to the airport. Don't worry about it."

"Wtf. Dude, I am exhausted. I had 4 hours of sleep and you're making a big deal out of something that is not a big deal. I was just saying it would be easier to take your bags first rather than go back and forth. And since Ali and Carrie are still here, I don't think they want to spend the whole day planning train trips to/from the airport. No matter what I do, I can't please everybody. You're putting me in a shitty position."

Then Bethany called me. I can't remember what all was said, but she started crying, telling me I'm a shitty friend and that I should have thought about this before now. WTF?! How and why is it my responsibility to plan when we take her fucking shit to the airport!? I have 2 other guests to think about! Then of course I got mad and started yelling, and she was like "FINE! Well I'll just stay here! I don't wanna go to the game if I'm such an inconvenience!" And then I think she hung up on me.

Somehow, Ali convinced her to come anyway, so I'm like, Fuck. This day is going to suck now. So I sent Bethany a text to try to mend things before they got any worse. This is what it said, "I'm sorry for yelling at you, and I didn't mean to make you feel unwelcome. You are one of my best friends and your friendship is very valuable to me and I don't wanna fight with you. We are all running on fumes and need naps. I just wanna bake a cake made of rainbows and we can all eat it and be happy." (<-- Mean Girls quote)

Well she didn't even bother responding to my text. But when she and Ali got here, she still had her panties in a bunch about everything because she just assumed that we were ALL going to take the one hour train ride to the airport with her to drop off her bags. And when I told her we didn't have time for that anymore, because we would have had to leave earlier, she blew a fucking gasket. So I told her let's just stick with the original plan and leave her bags at my place and we would get them after the game. But then she started crying again saying she was worried she was gonna miss her flight, and it's the last flight to Houston out of Chicago, and she just wants to go home and WAAAAAHHHH!!
And now Carrie (who was witness to everything up until this point and was really sick of her shit) chimed in, "No, it will be fine. We'll leave the game a little bit early, and we'll time it just right. You'll make it in plenty of time."
Which she would have anyway because no baseball game lasts 7 hours!!!! Her flight wasn't till 7 and the game was at 1! CHEESE & RICE!
But she still kept bitching and making up every excuse she could think of about why that wouldn't work. And she said she was just gonna stay home. And I was like, "Well what are you gonna do then?"
"I don't know, just sit here!"
And Carrie was like, "Ok well we'll probably be back before you leave."
And that was when Bethany realized that we weren't all going to beg her to come, so she was like, "Fine! I'll just come to the game! If my options are to sit here and be miserable or go to the game and be miserable, I might as well go!"
And we're all looking at each other like FUCK!
So we leave the apartment. FINALLY.
And then Bethany says something about "us" all going to the airport with her and I'm like, "Well we're not all going to the airport. That would be silly."
And she looks at me like I just smote her or something. And I say, "It's no big deal, I'll just give you the directions and you can take the train. It's really easy."

"I am not taking the train by myself! I'll get lost and miss my flight! And I can't believe that you expect me to go to the airport by myself! This whole trip has just been about you! I can't believe you're being so selfish!"

"I'm being selfish?? If I take you to the airport, what are Ali and Carrie supposed to do during that 2 1/2 hours that I'm gone?"

"I don't care! That's not my problem! This doesn't even have anything to do with them!"

Then Carrie, who is now irate and tired of sitting idly by says, "Bethany, I love you, but I'm sorry, you're being really difficult-"

"Shut the fuck up, Carrie! This has nothing to do with you!"

"OHHHH NO. I am NOT doing this." Carrie stops in the middle of the sidewalk. "This has nothing to do with me?!? This is my vacation too! And I bought my ticket way before you did! I'm sorry if I don't wanna spend all day in the airport! I took the train here by myself and it was fine, you need to grow up and stop acting like a child!"

So then Carrie and Bethany continued to yell at each other. Keep in mind that this is happening on the sidewalk, on our way to the train.

Then Carrie storms off ahead with Ali, and Bethany's like, "So is she the reason you don't wanna take me to the airport?? All that stuff you said to me earlier, was that just what she was telling you to say!?"

"NO! That is ridiculous! I was telling that I don't want to take you to the airport because there are two other people here, on vacation, that don't want to sit on the train all goddamn day! Why can't you just take a cab?!"

"Because I don't wanna spend any more money, Peyton*! If I would have known that you weren't gonna take me to the airport, I wouldn't have come!"


*(She didn't seem to have a problem spending money on Friday when she was buying everything in sight!!)


"Stop being so dramatic! GOD!! This is so fucking ridiculous!! I just wanted to go to the fucking game, and relax, and drink, and have a good time, but now everybody's pissed off because you decided to get on your little high horse and throw a fucking temper tantrum!"

"Oh I'm being dramatic!? Haha! That's hilarious. So you're saying it's my fault that everybody's in a bad mood now??"

"YES!! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING!!! You know what?! Fuck this! I don't even wanna go anymore."

Ali and Carrie were already on the other side of the turnstile but I had to get as far away from Bethany at that moment as humanly possible. So I turned around and started walking back to my house. Carrie came out after me, and in a moment, which I am now referring to as a rage black out, I kicked and swung my purse at a pole. I have never been so mad in my life. Seriously! We all laughed at my Hulk Smash moment later that night (after Bethany was gone), but really...not my finest moment.


Well I'll skip ahead a bit, cuz I think you guys probably get the gist by now. We finally get on the train to the Sox game. Bethany sits on one side of the train car, and the rest of us sit on the other side. Her choice. Whatever. Lucky for us, I brought vodka, so we immediately begin taking shots, and we are already feeling better just being away from Bethany. We all just needed some time to cool off I think. When we got off the train, Bethany and Carrie still didn't speak directly to one another, but Bethany was cordial to me again, and sort of just acted like nothing was wrong. I gave her a shot of vodka. We went to the game, we left early, Bethany decided to take a cab to the airport. Ali and Carrie got off at Chicago and State so Carrie could show Ali the Hancock building, and I went the rest of the way home with Bethany. She packed up and her cab came and she was gone! FINALLY!!


Then I met up with Ali and Carrie downtown and we went on a wonderful, relaxing, drama-free sunset cruise! It was amazing. Then we had dinner, and went home. They both left the next morning, and I felt terrible that their trip had to be sullied by Bethany's horrific attitude. But I can't tell you how nice it felt to have my apartment back. To be alone. And to SLEEP. AT LAST!!! And I finally broke down and bought an AC unit. Of course the temp dropped to 70 the very next day. ((Sigh))

Anyway, I'm not sure what this has done to me and Bethany's friendship. She called me once after she got home, and just acted like nothing had ever happened. So I guess that's her way of dealing. But I can't just sweep all that under the rug. She is not the same person I befriended 5 years ago. And to be honest, she is not the type of person I would choose to be friends with today. I mean I know she's been through a lot over the past couple of years, what with her mom passing away and everything, but when did she become so entirely self-centered?? I definitely don't plan on inviting her back any time soon, that's for sure. And if this damage is ever going to be mended, it's going to take a long, long time.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks you were so excited too. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

what the heck, I don't think my first comment went through: I just asked how old Bethany is. She sounds like she's about 15. And seriously, she has no idea she is a complete ass? She is completely oblivious to the tension and drama SHE was causing? Uneffing believable!

Anna said...

Sorry to hear that things didn't go as planned...sometimes people change and you just need to limit your closeness to them, in my experience :(.